Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A Beginner's Point of View 590-591

Day 590:

Today was really, really hot and humid. I was sweating a lot during Iaido class. I did two sets and four spare kata. I didn’t sip a lot of water before Kendo class.

In Kendo, we started off without men and doing a lot of okuri-ashi. It seemed really good to pace the class that way. We did the drill where we criss-crossed the room in alternating style charging and then men-ouchi. Then we put on kote and went through lines doing men-ouchi and kote-ouchi while rotating into lines.

Then we put on men. We did kiri-kaeshi and men-ouchi waza. I got really hot inside and felt weak. I decided to power through it because the class was close to over. However, sensei decided on a huge drill, four men strikes and then 4 kote strikes and then 4 doh strikes and then 4 men strikes. I did the men strikes and was weak. He yelled at me to be louder and more firm. I tried to summon more energy and struck kote twice. Then I collapsed against the far wall. I stopped breathing. I was so hot, that I didn’t feel anything. I had to sit out for the rest of class. Still, I kept my men on for ending rei-hou.

Sensei was concerned for me and insisted on my colling off with two sets of Kendo kata with him after class. Kata is always fun. It was a good idea to practice kata deliberately but pace yourself. Embarrassingly, we both screwed up the third kata both times. I guess we needed to concentrate.

Day 591:

No class today as I am ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment