Thursday, July 17, 2014

A Beginner's Point of View 592-593

Day 592:

Today we had kind of a group practice. We all did the first kata twice, then the second kata twice, etc… We finished with the sixth kata twice. Then we broke into freeform. I finished the seventh through twelfth katas twice and finally did an entire set.

In Kendo, we did suburi and I was sweating really badly. The summer is really hard on my health this year. There were thunderstorms, cooling the air. Still, it was humid. We did kiri-kaeshi and men-ouchi. I felt drained, close to losing all my breath again. I stepped out to catch my breath. Afterwards, I stepped in for some ji-geiko and kiri-kaeshi. I had just enough energy to finish.

Day 593:

Iaido was a structured class today. Together we started with leg stretches and then the four-direction practice. I messed it up trying to follow the opposite line instead of just turning the direction called. Ugh, what an amateur mistake.

Then together we did the first seven katas twice together. Afterwards we had free practice. I finished the two sets and practiced a few spare kata.

For Kendo class, sensei did not arrive. I stepped into lead the class in rei-hou and then led suburi. We did okuri-ashi and I remembered to loosen my arms. It allowed for better strikes. We put on men and then did waza. Kiri-kaeshi, men-ouchi, kote-ouchi. I was getting tired. I was thinking about stepping out but it was close to the end of class. We did kakari-geiko a few times and I had to stop in mid-stride.

Fortunately, we stopped to line up for birthday keiko for one of our students. When it was my turn, I made sure to crush her spirit so I could step in and strike her men and kote. After that, I allowed her to strike my men. It was a success, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment