Friday, July 25, 2014

A Beginner's Point of View 594-595

Day 594:

I got to class early today. I was able to complete three sets of Iaido with time to spare. I was able to practice the eighth kata a few times to practice the footwork. After class, sensei told me that the official instruction book was available. I asked for a copy.

In Kendo class, we did suburi and okuri-ashi. I felt good throughout. It was a big class, big enough that the receivers had to rotate. I like this kind of class. It gives me the time to recover my breath before doing waza. I still get to push myself.

Day 595:

In Iaido, I was really motivated. I did three sets of kata and then had time for almost another set of random kata. I had to remember to bring my right hand down before backing off. A sensei at the seminar told me to hold both hands on the sword as you back off. My sensei told me it’s not true. Now I gotta unlearn that lesson after months.

In Kendo, we did kiri-kaeshi, men-ouchi, and kote-ouchi. My naka-yui started coming undone before my eyes. I stepped out to re-tie it and back in. I practiced kote-men-ouchi and then had to step out for breath. Soon after, the whole dojo took a water break. We stepped back in for kakari-geiko and ji-geiko. Very good workout. I need to inspect my shinai this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment