Thursday, July 31, 2014

A Beginner's Point of View 596-597

Day 596:

I did 3 sets of Iaido in class before asking a question. Sensei was teaching the new student about the footwork in the ninth kata. Sensei turned his left foot to the right about 45 degrees. I have been keeping my left foot straight. A short conversation resulted in the answer being either one is good, but straight is better. I did a few spare kata to reinforce the footwork.

In Kendo class, we had a Guest Sensei. He’s a yondan from Michigan, which is Sensei’s alma mater. He was really happy to be here and practice with us.

The class got delayed just enough that I could stepo in and lead the class in rei-hou. We did warm-ups and suburi together. As a class, we did a few rounds of okuri-ashi and then put on men.

We did several rounds of kiri-kaeshi and men-ouchi. Class was large and the receivers needed to rotate. We did a few kote-ouchi and then it was several ji-geiko. Most of my partners were kyus so I had to push them into hitting me. At least today my naka-yui stayed tied. Maybe I can keep this shinai a little longer.

After class, Guest Sensei had advice for me. He said that my left arm is still bent at the end of a strike. I think it’s because of not extending and being too stressed at striking.

Day 597:

Iaido went by quickly again. I got to complete three sets of Iaido and had some time left over. I asked a question about tate-heiza. Sensei seems to sit with his feet in line with each other. It looks really awkward to stand up. He said it’s not necessary to sit exactly in line just make it close.

In Kendo, we had a hard class. After suburi, we skipped okuri-ashi and put on men. We did several rounds of kiri-kaeshi, men-ouchi, and kote-ouchi. We had a round of ji-geiko using only men and kote. Afterwards I had to sit out. I was getting to the point of not breathing any more. After I got my breath back, I stepped in for some advanced waza. Kote-men-ouchi, harai-men, and harai-kote. I like doing harai-waza. It makes its own opening. After one last ji-geiko, we finished class.

No comments:

Post a Comment