Friday, August 21, 2015

A Beginner's Point of View 706-707

Day 706:

In Iaido, it was hot and humid. I got to complete 2.75 sets of kata. Then sensei gave us a lecture about making everything smoother. No hesitation or stopping the sword. Got to string all the moves together. Act as if there are no gears to shift.

In Kendo, my student quit early today. She said she felt bad, so I made sure to talk to her parents about it.

I joined the rest of Kendo class. Kiri-kaeshi, kihon, and oji-waza were the order of the day. We practiced oji-waza for each of targets, men-nuki-men, kote-nuki, men, and doh-kiri-otoshi-men. We finished with ji-geiko. Several of those oji-waza reminded me of the kendo kihon kata that I learned at the seminar where I earned nidan.

Day 707:

I showed up early to help perform a demo for an open house that the community center showcased. We started with kata. I helped teach newer students kata 1-7 and then got to practice kata 8-10 a couple of times. We then did kiri-kaeshi and ji-geiko.

After the demo, we did Iaido class. I did 3 full sets of kata even though we started late. I tried to not hesitate between movements.

Today I taught doh-ouchi-waza to the student and then smoothed it out from 2-step waza into 1-step waza. When I tried to teach kiai, the student was very quiet. She needs to kiai loudly in the future.

At the end of class, I stepped in for ji-geiko to finish class. Head Sensei actually showed up this time, teaching the class about enthusiasm and deliberate action.

No comments:

Post a Comment